Wood fillers are beneficial as they help you repair some of your very precious wooden articles. They are used to fill nail holes, repair dents, scratches, cracks, and even the shredded edges of some plywood articles. These products are handy to use and allow you to repair the furniture and cabinets in your home by yourself. While roaming around the market, you will come across hundreds of products featuring different formulas and showing suitability for different projects.
However, finding the best wood filler for plywood edges is a concern of many people. Taking this concern seriously, I decided to review some of the best-selling products on the market. Here is a complete review of the best wood fillers for plywood edges.
Ten Best Wood Fillers For Plywood Edges
1. Elmer’s E887Q Stainable Wood Filler
Elmer E887Q is a stainable wood filler that contains real wood fibers, making it a perfect choice for plywood repairing and hole filling. According to the product description, The product can be painted, stained, sanded and polished, and is ideal for indoor repairing.
I tried out the product for bathroom vanities cracks. The product spread well and perfectly filled the cracks. But unfortunately, painting results were not up to the mark. It appeared as a separate patch that looked awkward.
Therefore, I don’t recommend this product if you don’t want to show the repaired part. Moreover, it is a high-strength product and can be used for both indoor and outdoor applications. Also, it can be sanded and features tube packaging for ease of use and safe handling.
Elmer’s E887Q is one of the finest wood fillers that can be used to repair broken plywood edges, fill large holes and cracks. Moreover, its handy squeezable packaging makes the application and handling a breeze.
2. Minwax 13616000 Wood Putty
Minwax has made its name as a trusted and reputed brand for wood care and finishing products. Minwax Putty is a non-hardening wood repairing product that lets you repair the wood imperfections, fill the nail holes, and finish the scratches.
The most loved thing about the product is its ease of use. There is no specialized tool required to use this product. Plus, this product doesn’t require sanding after application. I was able to fill all cracks of my plywood table surface with my fingers. I found it easy to remove and was able to rub the excess product from the surface. The only problem I found with this product was that it took a bit longer to dry than its counterparts.
As this product is easy to apply, it can be used to fill the holes and narrow cracks that are otherwise difficult to deal with. The product can be used over various wood surfaces like sanded, painted, stained, scratched, and bare. Moreover, the availability of this product in multi-colors further increases its versatility, making it a great choice for different DIY projects.
Minax putty wood filler is a versatile and quality product that can be used to fill minor holes and repair cracks in plywood surfaces. The product is available in different colors and can be applied over various surfaces; therefore, it is an ideal product for DIY enthusiasts.
3. FamoWood 40022126 Latex Wood Filler
FamooWood wood filler is another wood filler with natural and environmentally friendly composition. It’s a water-based wood filler, which is an excellent option for both interior and exterior projects. It’s a high-strength wood filler that won’t crack or shrink after drying.
The factor that made me a fan of this product was its quick and fast action when I used it. It quickly spreads, fills the holes, and takes shape. It took around 20 minutes to harden. Plus, it can be sanded, drilled, and planned. Moreover, you can also paint and stain over it to give a complete wood-like appearance to the repaired part.
It welcomes paints and stains of all types, making it a great choice for the various repair and DIY projects. Due to its high-strength formula, this product is best for outdoor use. Plus, it is an odor-free product and doesn’t contain any harmful ingredients.
It is an affordable yet, high-performance wood filler that is the best option for both indoor and outdoor projects. Its paintable formula, quick dry time, and putty-thick consistency help it stand out as the best wood filler for plywood edges.
4. DAP 00585 Latex 6oz, White All-Purpose Plastic Wood Filler
The next product on our list of best wood fillers for plywood is DAP all-purpose plastic wood filler. The product is an affordable yet high-strength product, making it a great choice for plywood works and repairs. The product features a solvent-based formula and contains real wood fibers to make it look closer to the wood. It can fill gaps and holes and repair the cracks in plywood and other wood surfaces.
The feature that I loved about this product is its strength. I tried this product to repair the kitchen cabinet’s damaged corner, and the results were amazing. The product dried fast and hardened into a perfectly finished surface. The other features I found valuable are that it is easy to apply and can be sanded, stained, nailed, drilled, and screwed. These features make this product valuable for various home-based repairing works and DIY projects.
Moreover, this product does not shrink and crack over time and can be used to fill gaps and repair the plywood edges. The only thing that annoyed me is its squeezable packaging. Due to its thickness and consistency, it requires a lot of effort to come out of the tube.
If you are looking for a product to fill up the minor and some major cracks in your vanity or baseboards, I strongly recommend this product. Due to its amazing strength and ability to be screwed and drilled, we can say that this is one of the best wood fillers for plywood edges.
5. Elmer’s E861 Carpenter’s Wood Filler
Up next is Elmer’s E86 carpenter’s wood filler. This is one of the best-selling products of the year and is highly recommended by professional carpenters. The product features a pancake batter-like consistency and comes in handy tube packaging. I found this product perfect for repairing the shredded edges of playwood cabinets in my home.
The thing that pleased me more is its ease of application. It spreads and fills smoothly and requires little effort to repair the edges and fill the holes. Moreover, you can also sand the surface afterward to get a smooth and final finish. The good news is that this product is actually paintable and stainable. To get the perfect result, it is recommended to use a primer over a sanded surface before the paint application.
It’s a highly reliable product that doesn’t crack, shrink or shred after drying, giving you a long-lasting experience. This product can be used for interior repairs and also for outdoor DIY projects. The only problem noticed with this product is that the remaining paste became dry within a few days after one time of use.
If you are looking for a handy and affordable wood filler for plywood edges, this product by Elmer is highly recommended. Moreover, this product is an excellent choice for outdoor DIY projects and repairing tasks-thanks to its high strength formula.
6. Timbermate Red Oak Hardwood Wood Filler
Timbermate hardwood Wood filler is our next choice for the best wood fillers. It features a water-based grain formula and can be used to repair edges, fill gaps and cracks. The most prominent feature of the product is the ease of application.
I found this product extremely user-friendly and valuable while using it for some interior repairs. I used a flat and wide spatula for application. The product spread and fill the cracks excellently. I easily removed the excessive product with a spatula and put it back into the bucket after use. This feature gives the product a real advantage over the product packaged in tubes.
Moreover, you can also tint this product before application. Tinting is an excellent option as staining over a repaired surface doesn’t look good. I also won’t recommend you to stain or paint over the Timbermate Hardwood wood filler. The good news is that the product is ideal for various woods like oak, hardwood, and walnut.
Timbermate Hardwood wood filler is highly recommended for repairing edges. The product is one of my favorites on the list because it is easy to apply, can be tinted before application, and gives a crack-proof finish.
7. Aqua Coat, Best Wood Grain Filler
Aqua coat is another best wood grain filler and is one of the most versatile and reliable products on the list. It is an amazing product for interior repairs like vanities, tabletops, and playwood edges. The product features a pancake batter-like thin consistency and comes in the form of transparent gel.
The product is easy to use and can be applied with fingertips alone. I used an old credit card to spread the wood filler across my kitchen cabinets’ ripped edges. The product has a fast-spreading and drying formula, and it was an amazing experience to use this product.
However, this product is not stainable and paintable. Instead, it is the best option for giving a shiny and smooth finish to the furniture and other plywood articles like cabinet doors, etc. This product is available in pint and quart packaging and is the best interior repair option.
If you want to give a new-like smooth and shiny finish to your cabinets, drawers, and vanities, consider this amazing Aqua Coat wood filler. The product is an affordable option that is very easy to apply and requires less effort to clean up the mess.
8. NADAMOO Floor and Furniture Repair Kit
Here is a complete repair kit that comes in fourteen different colors if you don’t like painting, staining, or tinting the wood fillers. This kit is an excellent choice for full interior repair and many DIY projects. It is one of the top-rated and best-selling products of the year.
The kit features fourteen different shades, and you can choose the one which goes perfectly with your original article. Moreover, you can mix two colors to bring more perfection to your work. this feature makes it easier for you to create the desired shade.
It comes in a very easy-to-work consistency and handy tube packaging. If you have decided to repair the shredded and ripped plywood edges by yourself, it is the best option. You can also fill the gaps, dents and repair the cracks and scratches on your wooden floor with this product.
It is a unique and useful interior repair kit that comes in 14 different shades. Moreover, its user-friendly packaging, quick drying time, and ease of application help it stands out as the best wood filler for plywood edges.
9. Woodwise 14-lb Powered Wood Filler White
Many of us prefer pre-mixed wood fillers as we think they are easy to handle and apply. However, some powdered wood fillers perform better and offer more reliability than some pre-mixed products. Woodwise powdered wood filler is one of the best wood fillers I’ve ever tried.
The product is ideal for repairing plywood edges, filling gouges, gaps, holes, and repairing the cracks and imperfections. I tried out the product for some interior repairs, and unlike my perception about powdered wood fillers, this product was pretty easy to handle. It is important to mix the powdered and water in a ratio recommended in instructions to get the perfect results.
However, we cannot paint or stain this wood filler, which was a bit disappointing for me. The product is easy to apply and hardens into a tough and reliable surface. The product comes in 1 kg packaging and is a cost-effective solution for big DIY projects. Also, this product is environmentally friendly and is safe to touch for humans also.
This powder-based product offers strength and reliability and is highly recommended for repairing plywood edges. This product hardens quickly and can be sanded for a perfect finish. Finally, it’s an environmentally friendly and safe-to-use product offering the best value for the money.
10. Elmer’s E842L Carpenter’s Interior Wood Filler
Here is another product by Elmer that could be a great option to repair plywood edges. It is a multi-purpose product that can be used to repair plywood edges, fill the gaps and gauges and cover scratches and blemishes. I found this product very useful in the interior repair works of my home.
The product is an excellent choice for inexperienced workers as it has a prolonged drying process. The product takes around 24 hours to harden and dry. Unlike fast-drying products, you will get extra time to work on them, and you can handle them easily. However, some people didn’t like slow-drying products, as they call for extra care.
Although this product says that it is paintable and stainable, I found this feature a bit lacking. After applying this product on the vanity’s shredded edges, I applied paint, but literally, it was not a good experience. It’s an odor-free, water-based product that creates less mess and is easy to clean and wipe off.
E842 is one of the best wood fillers by Elmer, giving you the best value for money. The product dries slowly, but it hardens into very durable and reliable repaired surfaces. Moreover, due to its slow drying process, it is an easy-to-handle product for inexperienced workers.
Getting a suitable wood filler for your repair work or DIY project is critical for perfect results. Some wood fillers might work well for hardwood but fail in plywood projects. Few factors decide whether this product suits your project or not. This buying guide will help you find your perfect match.
Water-based or Solvent-based
Water-based wood fillers generally contain cellulose, wood fiber, and gypsum, while solvent-based wood fillers contain epoxy or vinyl. If you are buying the wood filler for an outdoor project or repairing work, I recommend solvent-based wood fillers. These wood fillers are more resistant to humidity, water, and other environmental factors than their water-based counterparts.
However, water-based wood fillers have their own advantage. They dry quickly and are easier to handle than solvent-based wood fillers. For thin cracks and gaps, water-based fillers work well, but if you are dealing with large gauges and gaps, a solvent-based wood filler is recommended.
Stainable Wood Fillers
Wood fillers are available in different colors. You should go for a shade that perfectly matches the original color of the piece to be repaired. If you cannot find a colored wood filler that perfectly matches your furniture, you can go for a paintable or stainable wood filler.
You can apply polish or resins on the dried and hardened wood filler layer to get a perfect interior look. Otherwise, the repaired part would appear as a separate patch. However, some products claim that they are paintable but actually do not accept any stain or paint.
Solvent-based wood fillers are easier to stain and paint than water-based products. Another choice that you can make is a tintable wood filler. These products can be tinted before application to get the desired shade. These products are handier and are highly recommended for interior projects.
Wood fillers are generally available in two consistencies, putty-thick or pan-cake batter-like thin consistency. For plywood edges, it is recommended to buy a thick paste. Moreover, you can adjust the consistency of the paste by adding solvent or water later on.
Wood fillers are generally available in bucket packaging or tube packaging. If you want to repair small cracks or fill holes, you can go for a small tube packaging. But for large DIY projects or repairing works, a large bucket packaging is recommended.
If you are using a wood filler of thick consistency, never buy tube packaging. A paste of thick consistency requires a lot of effort to come out of the tube. Bucket packaging also produces less waste as you can put the excessive paste back into the bucket.
It is one of the most critical factors you should consider while buying a wood filler for plywood edges. Many people prefer water-based wood fillers as they dry quickly and take around 1 to two hours to harden.
If you are experienced in working with wood fillers, it is recommended to get a wood filler with quick-dry times-it will save you a lot of time. However, if you cannot handle these quick-drying products, I recommend you using vinyl-based wood fillers. Solvent-based wood fillers may take as long as twenty-four hours to dry.
How do you cover seams in plywood?
You can cover the seam on plywood edges by sanding and then applying wood fillers. It is recommended to use a solvent-based wood filler for a strong and durable finish.
What is the best wood filler for large gaps?
Minwax 13616000 Wood Putty is the best wood filler for large gaps. Its high-strength water-based formula and putty-thick consistency make it a great choice to fill large gaps and gauges.
Is wood filler as strong as wood?
No wood fillers are generally not as strong as wood. However, some solvent-based wood fillers form a stronger layer than some softwoods like pine wood and plywood. These wood fillers can be drilled and nailed also.
We can safely conclude that wood filler is one of the most useful DIY products that help you repair your furniture, wooden floors, and woodworks in the home. These are easy to apply and give a new-like look at a very competitive cost.
Here are three products which I liked the most.
Minwax 13616000 Wood Putty for its thick consistency, availability in different colors, and ease of application
Woodwise 14-lb Powered Wood Filler White for its high-strength formula, competitive price, and ability to accept paints and stains.
NADAMOO Floor and Furniture Repair Kit for its availability in 14 colors, easy-of-use, and fast-drying formula
I’m hopeful that this review and guide will help you get the best product for your project.
Check out also:
- JB WOOD RESTORE LIQUID HARDENER: Is a quick drying liquid for sealing and reinforcing decayed or rotted wood; for reducing moisture in decaying or rotted wood surfaces, prior to putty filling.
- WHAT THE PROFESSIONALS USE: Builders, mechanics & repair pros know our products bond strong to a variety of surfaces in even the toughest environments. Choose the product pros trust for your project.
- WOOD PREPARATION: The special liquid formula penetrates the wood to reinforce the fibers stopping further decay and providing a solid base for J-B Wood Filler Compound. Easy brush on, no mix formula.
- VERSATILE & DEPENDABLE: Ideal on door frames, window frames, sills, sashes, eaves, columns, posts, garages, fences, antique furniture, corner boards and much more!
- NO PROJECT TOO BIG OR TOO SMALL: We have all the products you need to get the job done right. JB Weld always delivers the legendary performance of the World's Strongest Bond.
- Revive - Blend multiple markers to perfectly match your wood surface hiding scratches, chips & worn edges
- Restore - Filler sticks work on deep scratches, nicks or nail holes to maintain long-lasting beauty
- Convenient - Effectively eliminate imperfections, ideal for daily touch up on finished wood surfaces
- Versatile - Light brown, medium brown, dark brown & black colors can perfectly replicate any wood tone
- Use On - Wooden furniture, cabinets, floors, bedposts, wood-veneer, doors, frames, molding & more
- 💎 The Ultimate CRYSTAL CLEAR EPOXY – Our Table Top Epoxy cures ultra clear making it perfect for table tops, bar tops, and countertops. The custom Epoxy formulation allows for minimal bubbles, goes on smooth, helps eliminate fish eyes, craters and various other imperfections. We only offer what we use. Plus, unlike many other epoxies, our epoxy resists yellowing caused from exposure to Ultra Violet Light Sources.
- 🎨 HIGH GLOSS & SELF LEVELS - Epoxy resin is durable, blemish resistant, has a consistent thickness, cures quick, is water and impact resistant. Not only that, our Bar Top Epoxy self levels on application including corners, over bar rails and live edges.
- 🌎 USA FACTORY- We proudly manufacture here so you can rest assured our Epoxy when used and cured correctly it is safe with Low odor. Mixes Well with Mica Pigment Powders & Cures Crystal Clear.
- 🍷1:1 MIXTURE 1 Gallon (1/2 Gallon Resin + 1/2 Gallon Curing Agent) KIT. It dries rock Hard and is very Versatile. We ONLY Produce a Tough, Water Resistant Coating plus with any questions we have a very knowledgeable Technical Support team, ready to help.
- 📞THE LONG HAUL - We know there a lot of Epoxy companies out there but just give our epoxy a try & with our team of experts we are here for you. Let us earn your business. If you’re stuck, we are right here to help coach you along. Are you a first timer or a professional? We have helped with bar tops, tabletops, river tables, jewelry, coffee tables, countertops, serving trays, too many things to list! We can help you get it done!
- A no-mess, instantaneous way to maintain your wood furniture's natural beauty. Perfect to keep around your home for quick repairs.
- Fills and conceals gouges that penetrate the wood finish. Seals and protects exposed wood grain to protect against damaging moisture.
- Wood filler material won't shrink, dry out, discolor, or rub off.
- Included colors are matched to the most popular wood finishes - - black, white, light brown, medium brown and dark brown. You can also combine colors to match the wood finish and grain, allowing you to fix and repair small defects and damage in all the furniture in your house.
- Wood rot is a common issue for most homeowner, regardless of where you live and can be easily repaired with the right products.
- Elegant and smooth finish
- The product is manufactured in china
- Stabilizing liquid that penetrates into soft, spongy, rotted wood fibers creating a hard surface
- Stainable and paintable
- Ultra clear non-blushing marine epoxy perfect for wooden boat canoe or kayak building
- Use under varnish to seal And stabilize bare wood and eliminate varnish finish checking or rot
- Special UV-inhibiting additives enhance and preserve varnish or other finish applied over Crystal Clear
- When used on bare wood reduces number of varnish coats required to achieve professional results
- Available in Quart & Gallon sizes. Includes TotalBoat traditional epoxy resin and Crystal Clear hardener. Mix at a 3:1 ratio. Kit comes with mixing sticks, and a plastic mixing container
- Item Weight: 2.0637 lb
- Country of Origin: United States
- Color: Natural
- Brand name: DAP
- A good bonding primer is essential to ensure that topcoats adhere to tough-to-paint surfaces. High adhesion primer increases painting possibilities by bonding to a wide range of surfaces.
- KILZ Adhesion is a unique latex primer developed to bond securely on slick surfaces where a traditional water or oil-base primer will not adhere.
- Bonds to tough-to-paint surfaces including Kynar, PVC, Formica, vinyl, glass, tile, glazed brick, chalky paints, glossy finishes, fiberglass and metals. Topcoat with either latex or oil-based paint.
- Use on most interior and exterior surfaces where a secure bond is critical. This problem solving primer can be used under epoxies, lacquers, and products containing Xylene or other solvents.
- This is a 1-quart can of KILZ Adhesion High-Bonding Interior/Exterior water-based Primer in white. Covers approximately 300 square feet per gallon.
- ⚒️ HIGH QUALITY & MONEY SAVING: Save time and money with this wood filler that does not shrink, sink, or crack, and has excellent adhesion. Only need to apply once, and it flawlessly accepts any finish or stain! In fact, this product can be mixed with any pigment, tint, stain or dye.
- ⚒️ DESIGNED FOR PROFESSIONAL WOODWORKERS: The only water-based, non-latex/acrylic, trowel-ready wood filler in the world. Innovative and easy-to-use, it’s designed for professional woodworkers but perfect for your everyday DIYer, too. As any woodworker will tell you, they throw hardened wood filler out all the time. But Goodfilla offers an unlimited shelf life since it reconstitutes with water and is freeze-thaw stable.
- ⚒️ MADE FOR EVERY HANDY-PERSON & WOODWORKER: Whether you have furniture to repair, a floor to finish, a craft to complete or an instrument to finish, this is YOUR product. Sand, stain, tint, prime, fill and seal every knot & grain on your to-do list. Goodfilla is so easy to sand you'll be amazed by how much time you save. BONUS: It's a green product; Zero VOC, zero waste and non-toxic.
- ⚒️ MORE COVERAGE & EASY TO USE: Goodfilla offers 25% more coverage than other trowel-ready fillers. Our professional formulation allows a longer open time because it holds onto the water longer. Unlike other water-based woodfillers, Goodfilla TR maintains its consistency over a wide range of ambient temperatures.
- ⚒️ USA MADE & 100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE: Your experience with this product is our number one priority. If your Goodfilla wood filler doesn't do everything you need it to do with ease, we'll refund your money up to 365 days with no questions asked!